Do you feel like chicken tonight?
I don’t know about you but this kind of in-between weather makes me crave something warm, comforting and utterly delicious.
Buuuut not something that will weigh me down.
Ah yes, an “in-betweener” dinner to match the sunny and bright but chilly seasonal changes of Spring.
What could be more fitting than a warming thyme-infused juicy roast chicken with crispy skin brightened up with lots of zesty lemon colourfully surrounded by soft sweet potato wedges and crisp red-skinned potatoes?
That will most definitely hit the spot!
Well with all this extra daylight in the evenings — it seems like there’s more time in the day for being productive…. and less time leftover for cooking.
A one-pan meal is ideal for nights like that and this one takes very little prep time. Simply chop and season the potatoes and the chicken, toss in a few lemons and garlic cloves and put it in the oven to roast — all the delicious lemony chicken juices will further season the potatoes — and they’ll be tender and perfectly cooked in the same time it takes the chicken to roast.
Steam up a few veggies – and a nutritious home-cooked comforting meal is ready with very little effort and time spent in the kitchen.
- 2 lemons
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunky fingers
- 2 red skinned potatoes, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme leaves - divided
- 2 tablespoons paprika or harissa powder for a little heat
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 3lb to 4lb chicken
- Zest the lemons and toss with the sweet potatoes, red potatoes, garlic, 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
- Brush a small pan with olive oil and add the potato mixture - this should be a tight fit with not too much overlap so that all potatoes can touch the bottom of the pan.
- Mix together the remaining 2 teaspoons thyme, paprika or harissa, garlic powder and at least ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper - then season the chicken by rubbing the spice mixture on the inside and outside.
- Cut the lemons in half and put them into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on top of the potatoes.
- Roast in a 350F oven for about 45-60 minutes or until the juices in the chicken run clear when it is pierced with a fork.
- Serve with steamed veggies.