Filling your fridge and freezer with healthy meals that can be ready with very little effort is one way to ensure you’re eating home cooked real food more often.
Pasta bakes are an ideal make ahead meal because they can be prepared in bulk and stored in single or family sized servings. Then dinner is as simple as baking and throwing together a side salad.
Traditional stuffed shells are delicious but they can be a little too heavy with the usual filling of just cheese and herbs. So, what’s the best way to lighten up this meal for a weeknight dinner?
Change up that filling!!
Sure, we can include a little cheese (of course!) to play a side role but how about making a favorite veggie the star?
Oh mine? Hmmm… I can’t decide.
But what I do know is that spinach and broccoli go amazingly well with my Divine Tomato Basil Sauce so I am going with those green gems for this delish dinner.
Add a little garlic and a touch of freshly grated parmesan and its hard not to fall in love with these Spinach and Broccoli Stuffed Shells.
Can you resist these fresh and vibrant veggie stuffed pasta pillows?
Make them even cleaner by using organic or freshly made shell pasta….dang girl (/dude!), you are good!
Keep it up 🙂
- 1 box of large shell shaped pasta
- 1 head broccoli
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 cups raw baby spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup tomato basil sauce
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta until just before its al dente - about 3 minutes short of the cooking time on package instructions.
- Steam the broccoli and garlic over boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Puree the broccoli, garlic and spinach together in a food processor.
- Combine the vegetable puree with the ricotta, ½ cup of parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce into a baking dish.
- Spoon the mixture into each shell and pack the shells into the baking dish on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the remaining ¼ cup of parmesan cheese and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes.