To make good choices, you have to be in control of what you are eating. You know this. The hard part is fitting this ideal into your lifestyle.
Making a little bit of progress every day is leading you into the direction you want to go – to be healthier, there is no need for radical changes overnight. Plus, huge changes all at once rarely stick, so give yourself permission to take it little by little, one good choice at a time.
As busy people, there is always the temptation to skip cooking and order food for dinner instead. So why not set boundaries for ordering food? For example, if you’re currently ordering food 3x per week, perhaps you’ll decide to cut it down to 1x per week and commit to that. This means you’ll have to make the effort to keep track of when you order food to ensure you don’t go over the amount you’ve decided to cut it down to.
This also means you’ll need to start accumulating some quick and healthy dinner ideas that won’t intimidate you on a busy weeknight.
That’s definitely how this orange chicken recipe came about. It’s literally done in 20 minutes, beckoning you with its fresh citrus and warming garlicky aroma to sit down to succulent sauteed bites of chicken coated in a subtly sweet and tangy orange glaze with just a hint of a red pepper kick.
This simple orange chicken recipe cooks in the same amount of time it will take to prepare a buckwheat noodle bed and a side of steamed broccoli.
It won’t be drenched in thick and gloppy sauce like the orange chicken you could order in, AND it will leave you feeling much more satisfied and so very proud that you decided to take that one little step toward better health by making a great dinner choice on this day.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- a big pinch of salt
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cut the chicken into similarly sized pieces, about bite-size.
- Heat up a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat and add the coconut oil to the pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and begin to saute.
- After about 2-3 minutes, add the garlic, the white parts of the scallions, a pinch of salt and the zest of the orange and continue to saute for about another 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together the juice of the orange, the balsamic vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the orange mixture on top of the chicken and mix well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the orange sauce thickens a bit and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over brown rice or noodles and with broccoli. Sprinkle the remaining scallion greens on top.